Digital era is the era of knowledge workforce. This means that in addition to specializations, the workforce at all levels require multiple skills in social sciences and technology. Accept it or not, technology has been integrated into our daily routine that has altered our DNAs. Smartphones, Blackberries, iPads and Tabs have given us the opportunity to learn faster and engage community around us effectively.
In early 1990, I started my job as a Trade Promotion Assistant at the British Consulate in Karachi. Coming from a commercial organization, I was shocked to learn that the office did not have a fax machine! Couple of months after my joining, as part of process improvement exercise, staff was asked to submit suggestions. Guess what, I recommended a fax machine.
Whereas Management Officer considered that as the best recommendation and allocated a budget for purchase of a fax machine of my choice, my head of department was unsure why we need this equipment.
After two decades, I now understand that perhaps until 90’s, technology penetration in the corporate world was slow, hence the acceptability of new technology. Situation is now different and corporate leaders who fail to adapt new technologies are fast pushing their companies into Coma!
I found an interesting video by Andrew McAfee of the MIT Center for Digital Business in which he explained how Web Enterprise 2.0 and other new collaborative tools let everyone create and organize information.
About the author
Passionate Trainer, Blogger and social media strategist - Qualified from US Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for Organization Management, I have been engaged in Private Sector Development for over 22 years. Love reading, traveling, mentoring. Professionally, I am working as Deputy Country Director at Center for International Private Enterprise (Pakistan Office) - My blogposts cover topics related to Entrepreneurship, Management, Career and Social Media. You can join me at Google+ or Facebook.
Checkout These Recent Posts
- 7 signals when to Quit your Job November 22, 2013
- 10 most Repeated Lies in Resumes November 15, 2013
- 5 Things that Recruiters Consider November 10, 2013
- Brand Building by Bootstrapping Your Career November 8, 2013
- 5 Tips for Gaining Success in Highly Competitive Work Environment November 3, 2013
- Signs You will be made Redundant! November 1, 2013
- Entry Level Job Search Challenge for MBAs October 26, 2013
- How shall I find a job? October 15, 2013
- My Boss Sucks! October 13, 2013
- How to deal with Job Boredom Issue October 4, 2013
Enter Your Email for Free Subscription