Career, finding a new job, fresh entry into job market are the key concerns for many. I have been mentoring on this subject for long and have also written many articles.
Recently, I received the following email from a young lad:
Just read your blog “How to Build A Career Path?” It is an excellent piece of advice for all job seekers. Thanks a lot sir:) Your efforts to help people especially youth are commendable!
Having said that I would like to mention that I am already very clear about my aim to join FMCG finance and I am targeting Unilever, Nestle and P&G. The problem however is that inspite of 5 months of search and asking people from Unilever, Nestle etc I haven’t got very clear reply to the following queries:
1. How to make myself a perfect candidate for job in FMCG finance, given the fact that ACCA’s holders face stiff competition from MBA finance and CA’s. (I am not saying that ACCA’s are more competent or less competent as compared to CA’s or MBA’s, but when I put myself in the shoes of recruiter, I can see that I have a choice of employing either an ACCA, or CA or MBA finance)
2. If they don’t hire fresh ACCA’s what kind of work experience they want?
a) big four audit firm or any audit firm?
b) duration of experience required prior to applying?
c) internship in companies like Unilever, P&G etc
d) internship in local companies like Tapal, Shan foods etc
3. what level of knowledge is required of ms excel and sap?
4. what soft skills to specially focus on for development?
FOLLOWING is my response which I am sure will help many!
Dear Mr ACCA. Following guidelines will help:
1. Do not focus on companies that get tons of applications. There are 180 multinational companies in Pakistan, but there are 50,000 SECP registered Pakistani companies too, and a number of these companies are pretty good. So make a list, I would suggest your list should have 250 potential companies. Use KSE Listed companies. Expand your horizon.
2. You need to stand-out amongst the crowd. Crowd is those applicants that are of similar qualifications, looking for similar opportunities and live in the same city. No one can tell you how to stand-out; you need to use your imagination. Offer things that your competitors can’t. Your CV needs to reflect something uncommon if you can become expert user in QuickBook or SAP, that would be great. Be creative, not in design, but in content.
3. Check which companies hire ACCAs. I know that finance jobs on Rozee.pk prefer ACCAs. So join Rozee.pk. Speak to seniors and ask them the trick to join the stream.
4. Internship is a nice way to enter the job market. Yes, I support the idea. I have seen that most supervisors consider interns as burden. Select a progressive company so that you learn. Company should have a road map for interns. If not, ask for one.
5. Find who is who in your network. Use linkedin, facebook friends. Tap into hidden job market and follow twitter trends for #Jobs #Pakistan. Use ACCA network. I am sure the help you can get from your own ACCA community, others can’t offer.
6. Soft Skills are all human skills. You should be able to speak well, write well, and present your case well. etc.
About the author
Passionate Trainer, Blogger and social media strategist - Qualified from US Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for Organization Management, I have been engaged in Private Sector Development for over 22 years. Love reading, traveling, mentoring. Professionally, I am working as Deputy Country Director at Center for International Private Enterprise (Pakistan Office) - My blogposts cover topics related to Entrepreneurship, Management, Career and Social Media. You can join me at Google+ or Facebook.
Checkout These Recent Posts
- 15 Causes of Failure to Watch
- Old Marketing Theories will be obsolete soon – Social Media will Rule!
- In Customer Service, Rudeness is unacceptable – Hey, McDonald’s employees, smile please!
- When TownTawks Found a Mentor!
- What do brands discuss on social media?
- TownTawks – Start-up I have been Mentoring
- How BlogDash is connecting Bloggers with Businesses
- I am a big fan of Social Media!
- When I Grow Up I Want to Be a Jet Pilot – A Dream Career!
- Five Biggest Career Regrets!
- May 2013 (3)
- April 2013 (7)
- March 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (4)
- January 2013 (5)
- December 2012 (4)
- November 2012 (6)
- October 2012 (5)
- September 2012 (9)
- August 2012 (9)
- July 2012 (12)
- June 2012 (9)
- May 2012 (13)
- April 2012 (15)
- March 2012 (7)
- February 2012 (5)
- January 2012 (5)
- December 2011 (9)
- November 2011 (11)
- October 2011 (6)
- September 2011 (9)
- August 2011 (10)
- July 2011 (11)
- June 2011 (13)
- May 2011 (33)
- April 2011 (1)
- March 2011 (1)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (2)
- November 2010 (1)
- October 2010 (3)
- August 2010 (2)
- July 2010 (3)
- June 2010 (2)
- May 2010 (5)
- April 2010 (6)
- March 2010 (3)
- February 2010 (4)
Enter Your Email for Free Subscription
Tag Cloudabout entrepreneurship best business entrepreneur business entrepreneurship business ideas capacity building expert Career challenges change leader charisma communication customer service entrepreneur entrepreneurs entrepreneurship expert facebook hammad hammad siddiqui influence Job market knowledge leadership London Olympics London Olympics 2012 motivation online business online marketing opportunities Sales Seth Godin social media social media marketing team top trainer twitter what is an entrepreneur what is a small businesses What is business management what is entrepreneur what is entrepreneurship what is small business what is social media women entrepreneur